Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Sank My Ship

So how's that $40 grocery budget going? It probably is somewhere on the bottom of ocean by now after I sunk it a couple weeks ago. Don't go after it, no treasure to be had, just lint from my pocket. Let's just say the Dillons' April 2nd "No Foolin" sale was the direct hit that took it down. After spending nearly $30 on cheese and eggs I knew I was in trouble. The deal was just too good to make my budget behave. I decided to use the remaining $10 and the next week's budget to finish off our two weeks of grocery needs before our vacation. That worked well with the rest of the groceries coming $2.60 under budget! However, it didn't total in the milk we would need to replenish later in the week or the few dishes I still needed to bring when going to friends' houses during those two weeks. KA-BOOM! I think I came under $60 for each of those weeks? I gave up tracking and just got what I needed which led to buying fun things for our trip that we probably didn't need. I really need a budget to keep me honest! So instead of boarding the luxury cruise-liner of a bigger grocery budget when we get home, I'll be floating around in my little lifeboat of $40/week until I pay penance for the vacation budget I sank.

No comments: